If you’ve been doing the ketogenic diet for any period of time, you probably already have encountered quite a lot of temptations.
Some seasons during the year are basically a minefield of temptations while others are a bit easier to handle.
One time that’s pretty difficult is the summer. All of it.
Once everybody around you starts eating delicious ice cream and sipping on their Pina Coladas, it becomes almost impossible to continue seeing the big picture.
You don’t have to be the weird diet person anymore who’s jealously watching their friends eating the most delicious treats – you can do both: eat ice cream, lose weight and improve your health.
This rich and creamy keto chocolate ice cream ice cream is for serious chocolate lovers only. No wimpy chocolate flavour here!
Keto Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
By September 30, 2020Published:
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 6 hrs 35 mins
USING TWO SWEETENERS IS IMPORTANT
Using only Stevia, Monk Fruit or Erythritol will result in a rock hard ice cream out of the freezer.
Using only Xylitol will make it too soft, it’s more like soft serve.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup almond or hemp milk unsweetened
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder dark
- 1/3 cup Krisda Sweetener Xylitol
- 1/3 cup Krisda Sweetener Stevia, Monk Fruit or Erythritol
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 oz Krisda Semi-Sweet Chocolatey Chips chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vodka optional, helps reduce iciness
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Set a bowl over an ice bath.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream, 1/2 cup of the almond milk, cocoa powder and sweeteners. Whisk together until well combined and stir until mixture reaches 160°F on an instant read thermometer.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Slowly add 1 cup of the hot cream mixture, whisking continuously to temper the yolks. Slowly add the tempered yolks back into the saucepan, whisking continuously. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 165°F on an instant read thermometer and is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and add the chopped chocolate. Let sit 5 minutes and then whisk until smooth.
- Pour mixture into bowl set over ice bath and let cool 10 minutes. Then wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Before churning, whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup of almond milk, the vodka, if using, the vanilla extract, and the salt (the mixture will be very thick until these ingredients are whisked in).
- Pour the mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's directions.
- Once churned, transfer to an airtight container and freeze another few hours until firm.
- Course: Dessert